A project, a long time coming. Pt.1

A start of a project that I have thought about for a while. After using my Weber and UDS for bbq, smoking meat, ribs, and everything else. I needed a bigger surface for myself, my family and friends. Since my addiction to low and slow bbq four years ago, I had to use both of my Weber and drum to smoke a lot of meat. Well this new project will make things easier for me to cook more meat in one place.

.

It starts with a used compressor I got on Craigslist. It’s a 60 gallon air compressor that is 3/16″ thick, that measures 20 inches in diameter and 48 inch long. This will allow me to make this project for half the cost of a professional model. Also I will use a stove I built for a wall tent, as the firebox. I designed the bbq smoker on a CAD program, to get the basic shape, and I used a bbq smoker calculator to find the right volume for the smoker.
.
.

First step is to get the tank stripped of the motor, brackets and feet. Then a quick power wash to get the grease and grime off. I left the fittings on until I decide which needs to be removed. The use of masking tape to create the cut line, makes the job easier. Here’s a quick time-lapse video showing me cutting the door of the cook chamber.

.

.

After cutting the door, I tacked it back in place in two spots, and added flat bar to create the door frame. My next step was to weld the hinges, and test it out to see if it opened without interference. To create the stand for the smoker, I used 2 inch square tubing. By drawing the layout on the floor, I made it easy to tack and weld the stand.
.
.

The fire-box is a 1/8 inch steel stove for a Wall Tent I built that is 16x16x24 inches long. This is a reverse flow build, so one of the things I’ve decided  is a 1/8th inch plate with an angle iron down the middle, to use for the baffle plate. It will help drain the grease.

.

.
I cut  4 inch tubing at a 45 degree, and 24 inch long. Reversed the pieces, and welded to create the exhaust. I aligned it between where the two racks are going to be, and added a shut down cap. This will allow the cook chamber to fill with smoke, adding more smoke (which means flavor) to the meats.
.

.

The next step of the build was to put a handle to open the cook chamber, a firebox grate for the wood and temperature gauges to keep track of the temp across the racks. I ordered some bbq gauges from Amazon and it arrived in about one week.

.

. .

 Stay tuned for the next part of the smoker build coming soon……

.

 

Sign up to receive notification by email on new post.

.

.
.

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.